Training & Workshops Across Industries
Training & Workshops Across Industries
Why Resilience is a Critical Skillset at Work
The workplace is becoming more global, specialized, complex, regulated and fast-paced, and many industries are experiencing rapid change. The resulting uncertainty and ambiguity, in tandem with the 24/7 “always on” pace where technology makes it nearly impossible to fully detach from work, has created a tremendous amount of stress and burnout across industry.
Leaders must be able to effectively manage through this change and complexity and quickly adapt their thinking, behaviors and strategies accordingly. In order to do this effectively, they need new tools, and one such tool is resilience. Resilience frameworks allow leaders (and their teams) to adapt to and grow from perceived and actual setbacks and challenges, create strong networks to allow for collaboration, proactively monitor emerging issues and innovate.
What Makes Us Different
We take a systemic approach to teaching and training resilience and apply resilience frameworks to help individuals, teams, leaders, and organizations perform at a high level and thrive. Our resilience tools are all research-based and are informed by Paula’s work at the University of Pennsylvania (including her work with Penn and the United States Army), positive organizational psychology and the Penn Resilience Program. The Penn Resilience Program is the most empirically studied resilience program and has been applied across industries such as the military, healthcare, education and in business. Paula trained with Drs. Karen Reivich and Marty Seligman, the creators of the Penn Resilience Program.
Paula has taught programs to thousands of professionals, leaders and teams on the topics of stress, burnout prevention and building resilience across industries as varied as technology, healthcare and the military.
Our Most Popular Programs
Here are some of our most popular programs with key learning objectives:
Resilience at Work Overview (Individuals):
The benefits of resilience are many, but they need to be given some context. Resilience is a set of skills that can be practiced, learned and developed.
- Summarize the well-being and performance benefits of resilience
- Learn more about your own Resilience Strengths & Challenges by taking the Stress & Resilience Institute’s Resilience Inventory
- Practice a set of skills shown to build resilience using case studies, interactive exercises and our own short STRONG (STress Resilience ON the Go) strategies
Building Resilient Teams (Leaders/Teams):
Teams play an important role at work and have the power to shift both how individuals experience work and the workplace culture itself.
- Learn the 6 key building blocks of what makes a team resilient
- Understand the key role that leaders play in enhancing or eroding the resilience of their team
- Learn more about your team’s Resilience Strengths & Challenges by taking the Stress & Resilience Institute’s Resilience Inventory for Teams
- Discuss key issues applicable to work teams, like geographic distance, psychological safety and trust
- Practice skills shown to build resilient teams using case studies, interactive exercises and our short TNT (Tiny Noticeable Things) strategies
- Includes group coaching sessions to ensure that key skills and strategies are operationalized
Resilient Leaders (Leaders):
Leaders have a profound impact on their followers’ resilience and well-being. Leadership development efforts in many organizations have expanded to include other tools not typically taught at university or in a person’s professional training, and resilience is an important addition.
- Learn the 5 key attributes of resilient leadership
- Learn more about your own Resilience Strengths & Challenges by taking the Stress & Resilience Institute’s Resilience Inventory for Leaders
- Discuss key issues specific to leading in a changing industry, psychological safety, trust and the importance of maintaining well-being (your own and others)
- Talk about how to coach these skills to those you lead
- Practice skills shown to build resilient leadership using case studies, interactive exercises and our short STRONG (STress Resilience ON the Go) and TNT (Tiny Noticeable Things) strategies
- Includes 1:1 coaching sessions so that leaders can implement personalized resilience plans
“Not only was it a packed room for the “Building Resilient Teams” presentation, but the feedback was extraordinary and many thought it was the best session of the CLOC event (out of 80 sessions!). The insights and learnings are incredibly relevant to building and leading teams in today’s environment, and it was humorous and fun as well!”
Stress, Burnout Prevention & Creating a Positive Culture (All Levels):
Chronic stress inhibits problem solving, concentration, and attention, it impairs development of high-quality relationships and teams, it interferes with working memory, increases anxiety and is linked to burnout and safety issues, all of which impact busy professionals and their ability to work at a high level.
- Paula shares her story about burning out at the end of her law practice
- Learn more about the spectrum of stress and how to know when stress becomes burnout
- Discuss 6 key burnout warning signs
- Understand the burnout formula
- Practice a framework for talking to colleagues about concerns in this area
- Discuss the 7 key building blocks of creating a Positive Culture – the entry point to a systemic, comprehensive solution to address burnout in the workplace
- Discuss how resilience and other positive organizational psychology strategies help and practice key tools and frameworks using case studies and interactive exercises
Resilience & Business Development (Individuals/Leaders/Teams):
Business development is critical to business success, but many professionals don’t feel particularly competent in this area.
- Summarize the well-being and performance benefits of resilience and how resilience tools help you develop in this specific area
- Resilience strategies help you quickly process and more positively adapt to the frustrating aspects of business development in a way that promotes a growth mindset, builds an optimistic explanatory style, and optimizes the power of your networks
- Practice specific skills to help you grow your confidence and resilience in this area
What Resilient Organizations Do Differently (Executive Committee/Management Committee/Leaders):
Is your organization ready to adapt to the known and unknown challenges associated with doing business in a changing environment?
- Discuss the 5 indicators that drive resilience in organizations
- Assess how your organization rates on each of these indicators
- Executive teams and leaders use these results to discuss how the organization is prepared to manage both small and large challenges and what areas of improvement need to be made
- Practice skills shown to help improve these indicators
- Includes group coaching sessions with your executive team to ensure these strategies are implemented
FOR YOUR ADDITIONAL CONSIDERATION:
Consider the impact to your diversity & inclusion programs: These topics can be particularly impactful when talking to women and diverse professionals about their experiences at work and informing retention efforts.
Include spouses, significant others & key family members. Paula was honored to help pilot the Army’s resilience training course for spouses, and family members and friends are often on the receiving end of the stress and challenges leaders bring home and often don’t know what to do to help. Paula recently spoke to a group of spouses at an executive retreat, and to say that they were eager to talk, vent, and get more resources, was an understatement.
Learn from a solider. Paula’s friend and colleague, Lt. Col. Sylvia Lopez, travels with her on occasion to talk about how resilience skills have informed her leadership style, help her manage stress, and how she continues to teach these skills today as a senior officer in the military. Col. Lopez’s remarks are impactful and well-received by leaders at all levels.
We look forward to being a trusted resource for you and your organization.
What are YOUR Resilience Strengths? Find out now with our Resilience Inventory >